In partnership with the National Park Service, and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, ASALH sponsors an annual event to commemorate the birth of Carter G. Woodson. Join us for this free and open to the public celebration. The commemoration will be held on December 19. https://asalh100.org/asalh-calendar/
About the Woodson Home
Dr. Carter G. Woodson directed ASALH’s operations from his home located at 1538 Ninth Street, NW, Washington, DC, from 1915 until his death in 1950, and ASALH was headquartered in the building until 1970. The house was the center for educating the nation’s history and culture. Working out of this building, Dr.Woodson managed ASALH’s day-to-day operations, published periodicals (the Negro History Bulletin and the Journal of Negro History), operated a book publishing company (Associated Publishers), trained researchers and educators, and pursued his own research and writing about African American history.
Dr. Carter G. Woodson’s home was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976 for its national significance in African American cultural heritage. Now, as a result of legislation enacted in 2003, Dr.Woodson’s home will be established as a National Historic Site and visitor attraction operated by the U.S. Department of Interior, National Park Service. Dr. Woodson’s home is the 389th site in the National Park System, and it is one of the 19 sites expressly dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of African American history. For more information, please visit the National Park Service website.
Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton was instrumental in championing the concept of establishing Dr. Woodson’s home as a National Historic Site. ASALH thanks for her stalwart support and assistance in protecting this national treasure.
Dr. Woodson’s Home
The building is a fine example of a Victorian row house. It is three stories high with a raised basement, providing an authentic example of a popular architectural style characteristic of Washington, DC in the 1890’s.
Dr.Woodson’s home is located in the historic Shaw neighborhood of Washington, DC. This area has been identified as the “Heart of the African American Community in Washington” and numerous buildings of historical a nd cultural significance are located within walking distance. For example, the Phyllis Wheatley YWCA, the Shiloh Baptist Church, the Mary McLeod Bethune Council House, the African American Civil War Memorial, the historic Lincoln Theater, and Howard University are all nearby. The building also is a short walk from the Washington, DC convention center.
Development of the Historic Site
On May 11, 1976, Dr.Woodson’s home was designated a National Historic Landmark.
In 2000, legislation was enacted authorizing the National Park Service to conduct a resource study to evaluate the suitability and feasibility of designating the Woodson home as a National Historic Site. (Public Law 106-349, 114 Stat. 1359, October 24, 2000)
The National Park Service issued its special resource study of the Carter G. Woodson Home in June of 2002. This lengthy report documented the significance of the Woodson home and evaluated various options for future management of the site by the National Park Service. The study concluded that Dr.Carter G. Woodson’s home was suitable for inclusion in the National Park System as National Historic Site or as an affiliated area because of Dr. Woodson’s place in American history as a preeminent educator, historian, and the father of African American history.
In 2003, legislation was enacted authorizing the National Park Service to acquire Dr. Carter G. Woodson’s home and establish it as a National Historic Site within the National Park System. (Public Law 108-192, 117 Stat. 2873, December 19, 2003) The legislation also authorized the National Park Service to acquire several building adjacent to Dr.Woodson’s home and to incorporate them into the Woodson Home National Historic Site. In addition, the legislation provides for ASALH to use a portion of the historic site for its administrative purposes in order to maintain the historical connection between the association and Dr. Woodson’s home.
In June 2005, the National Park Service acquired Dr.Woodson’s home from ASALH. On February 27, 2006, the building was officially dedicated as the Carter G. Woodson Home National Historic Site, the 389th unit of the National Park System. The National Park Service will be restoring the building and developing a visitor center for the historic site.